Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rubbing It In

Stumbled upon an excerpt of Seth Davis' new book "When March Went Mad", in which he lets us know Larry Bird's first choice to play college ball was Kentucky. I'm guessing its true because of his sources, but part of me thinks Davis (1992 Duke grad) is doing this just to throw some fuel on Big Blue Nation. I know I'm wrong about the last half of the previous sentence, but as a Wildcat fan, I'm entitled to think every article published is somehow a shot at UK. That's just the way we think as Cat fans. Joe B. Hall never offered due to Bird's shyness. Ouch!

"The school he most wanted to attend was Kentucky. Bird went with Holland and his parents on an official visit to Lexington, but Wildcats coach Joe B. Hall, who had been to Springs Valley to see Larry play, didn't offer him a scholarship. "People give Joe B. Hall hell about that, but I'm close friends with one of Joe's assistants, and he said when you talked with Larry Bird, he wouldn't talk to you; he wouldn't look at you," Bill Hodges says. "Ain't no way a Kentucky player can get by like that. They'd eat him alive.""
Way to go 1970's Kentucky fans, WAY TO GO! I'm not bitter--at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment