Monday, March 23, 2009

Ah, the memories...

Greatest. Team. Ever.

Big game tonight, as the good guys travel to Omaha to face the evil Creighton BlueJays. Tip is at 7 on ESPN2. I have heard some posters on other sites saying they hope UK loses so we can get on with wrapping up BCG's future. That kind of talk blows me away. Regardless of you opinions on the coach, we should all rally behind the team and always cheer for a UK victory.

By now you've all probably seen the piece from WKYT where they interviewed the parents of some of next year's recruits. All the parents are saying the same thing: If BCG is out, we are not a lock to come to UK. Does this concern any of the anti-BCG folks? If you think this year is bad, consider the possibilities...

There is a good post today from A Sea of Blue talking about how MB has already told us what he plans to do, so we shouldn't be expecting weekly updates or comments about BCG's job.

If you have a Neflix subscription, take a walk down memory lane and watch the 1996 NCAA Championship. It is available either by a normal rental or by using their "Instant Viewing" feature. Ahh, the glory days. One thing that hits me immediately is the physical differences between the 96 team and the UK teams of recent past. Just from their outward appearance, you can tell that they are more talented. Everyone is big, fast, and coordinated. These kids were just built differently.

Maybe it isn't a fair comparison. Not many teams, UK or otherwise, can compare to the talent assembled on that '96 team.

Anyway, here is a little clip sure to either make you all nostaligic or thoroughly depressed...




7 comments:

  1. At the bare minimum, its the best half team ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you heard it, or care, but Pitino referred to how good his 96 team was in the post game interview this weekend.
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I saw some of it, but WKYT cut feed and went to commercial while he was talking. Only to switch back as he was ending the interview. I'll never understand WKYT's coverage of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big BCG fan by any means, but I feel the guy deserves at least another year to show us what he can do. He can bring the talent in... But can he coach them? Is he just another Ron Zook or Matt Doherty? His off the court antics have worn thin on me as well. He could at least be a little more professional and not such a dung-head.

    -Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheh, yeah, sorry about the pic being cut off. You should have seen the first one I put up. It was in color, but bigger. It only showed Keightly to Anderson. I figured the B&W was good enough. I hope I don't get fired due to lack of professionalism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first was the one I was talking about.

    You can't get one past ME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With college becoming more of a "rest stop" for future NBA players, I don't know if we'll ever see a team this talented again. What I wouldn't give to see this group in their prime one more time!

    ReplyDelete