Friday, March 13, 2009

PANDA WATCH

The story that never sleeps. The New York Yankees of college basketball never get a break even after their first win in over two weeks. The Courier-Journal reports today Billy Gillispie said being the face of UK basketball "wasn't in his job description." Those are some very powerful words coming from our fearless leader. Words that might be unsettling to alumni and boosters alike, not to mention Mr. Barnhart.

While he might be true, I have a hard time with him coming out to say it publicly. Obviously Billy Gillispie will be judged by his wins and losses at the end of the day--something which ultimately got his predecessor "fired". So as fans, we need to decide where we want to stand. Do you want a public celebrity or a basketball coach, because the combo is hard to find? We had arguable two of the best in Pitino and Tubby, but it wasn't good enough (either for the coach or the fan base, respectively).

Let me know what you think. Get fired up for Gillispie or are you ready to cut ties ASAP.

Big game today. LSU @ 1:00pm. We need this win and another one to even be in the NCAA conversation.

Geaux Cats!

3 comments:

  1. Call me a BCG-lover, but I tend to agree with him. His job is to win ballgames, not "play nice" with the media. I agree that you have to play nice somewhat so that you look good for recruits, but I don't think being a grumpy ball coach is a bad thing.

    We have had a smooth snake-oil salesman that would lie to your face and classy gentleman that was a great for the image of UK. I would rather have a coach that only cares about winning and recruiting and sucks at PR than having a great PR person that sucks at winning and recruiting.

    I guess right now BCG isn't winning, so the PR problem only amplifies things, but I bet you if UK were winning 25 games and going deep in the tourney a lot of his current detracters would instead rally behind his personality traites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Clay, you're a BCG lover. I don't agree with him. I know he had no idea what it was going to entail off the court when he came to UK, noone does. However, I do believe he has a responsibility to be remotely cordial to fans and media alike. He is the face of UK baskeball right now whether he likes it or not. I do agree with you that if we were ranked in the top 10 and 25-5 noone would care about his antics. The problem is we are 20-12 and fighting to stay out of the NIT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my thoughts are that Tubby was a great PR guy but couldn't get the job done in other areas. I'd rather have a great recruiter than a great PR guy.

    Rick Pitino was both, I guess, but they may not be too many of those guys out there. Additionally, RP wasn't exactly perfect either. He had some personality flaws that were overlooked because he was winning. You can't believe that if RP were still here we wouldn't have the occaisional rough year, and all of his faults would be magnified as well.

    ReplyDelete