Monday, February 23, 2009

Adam Dunn looking for work with Mom

This photo was taken shortly before Dunn signed a 2-year deal with the Washington Nationals.
What do you make of the Reds this year? Personally, I'm split. I like the fact they moved both Dunn and Griffey late last year, but I'm scared to see what it might bring. The Reds were actually 22-16 (before losing their final five games) to close out 2008 without Dunn and Griffey. One thing is clear, the Reds weren't winning with those two cash cows in the outfield. I really like the small ball approach they're taking, I just wish Dusty Baker wasn't steering the ship.

On the other hand, here's a Quick fact
:
Dusty Baker has 9 winning seasons as a manager.
Adam Dunn has 0 winning seasons as a major leaguer.

Here is a good guess on what the Reds will look like Opening Day 2009. I love the infielders and pitching, its the outfield that scares the bejesus out of me. This is a team that should make contact, steal bases, and play solid defense, none of which we had done since 1999. Can you believe that? Ten years since the Reds have even sniffed the playoffs. While it will be a longshot for the Reds to make a playoff run in 2009, one thing is for certain: the other way wasn't working. All of this might be false hope, but at least its false hope with young, inexpensive players.

1 comment:

  1. I think they are still a year from a serious playoff run. I think Votto will be a rock solid .300/25/90 guy, Bruce hopefully will fall in in between how he started and how he finished last season, and hopefully Volquez and Cueto will be consistent (although I expect a letdown from EV), who knows with Arroyo, same for Cordero. But all things considered getting rid of 2 lifeless players with big $ contracts should change the mentality of this team. With a core of Phillips, Votto, & Bruce + Keppinger, EE, Taveras, Gonzales on offense at least there is hope. But I'm always optimistic this time of year.

    ReplyDelete