Sunday, August 16, 2009

New Blogger Alert! New Blogger Alert!

Greetings to all who read this blog. It is obvious if you are here you are an outstanding member of society and obviously above the average IQ range. Otherwise, you would be reading something about the economy and worrying about your financial future. I am going to be writing on this blog from time to time and I can promise you 2 things. First, I have no time for research and just like to talk about sports so nothing, I repeat nothing I say has any relevance to society or will help you to become a better person. Second, my opinions are mine and you are entitled to your own, but my opinion is what you will be getting when you read my posts.

I will begin with todays golf festivites. The PGA Championship finished today and Tiger did not win. REPEAT Tiger Woods did not win. My first question is does anyone really care? Don't get me wrong, Tiger is a great golfer, but he is not going to win every tournament. If he did, it would be no fun to watch the tournaments. It is no secret I am not a huge Tiger fan. I tend to pull for lefty but we do not need to talk about his week in golf. Probably one he wants to forget. Back to Tiger. If you did not hear, Tiger had never lost a major tournament when leading or being co-leader after 54 holes. Again, does anyone really care. Much like Duke basketball and the Boston Red Sox. The media has overkilled Tiger Woods. Tiger can be 8 strokes off the lead and an up-and-comer winning a tournament and all the announcers talk about is Tiger. If he is that far off the lead who carses what he is doing at the time.

I talk about this for no reason except to bring up the question of is Tiger Woods the greatest golfer ever? I do not accept that as truth yet. The technology is far greater than it was 30 years ago so it is unfair to compare him to Nicklaus and Palmer. Doing that is like asking if Muhammed Ali would have beat Mike Tyson in their prime. When history separates athletes of the same sport you have to go with statistics. And looking at that Tiger is 3rd in the all-time wins category behing Sam Snead and Jack Nicklaus. Then you look at all-time majors of which Tiger is in second behind Jack Nicklaus. To me, saying Tiger is the greatest ever is something that basically only time is keeping from happening, but we canot say that yet. Let me ask you this. Was Hank Aaron the best homerun hitter until he broke Babe Ruth's record? Was Pete Rose the all-time hit leader until he broke Ty Cobb's record? Is UNC the winnigest program in college basketball? (answer: not as long as UK still has a program and Coach Cal handles his bidness). The answer to all of these is NO, and until Tiger brings in major title #19 and becomes the all-time wins leader I will never say he is the greatest golfer ever.

1 comment:

  1. pumped to see a comment weren't you?

    Thanks for jumping on board.

    ReplyDelete