Friday, February 26, 2010

Craigslist, the dark alley off the internet superhighway




ATTENTION: Do not buy SEC Tournament tickets from Nashville's Craigslist!

I have been searching for SEC Tourney tickets for a little while now (good luck, right?). Anyway, I got the bright idea that instead of just cruising the Lexington craigslist page, I would check out the other SEC school locations. On an interesting side note, there are hardly any listings at any of the other schools.

However, I hit the jackpot on the Nashville Craigslist page! Hundreds and hundreds of listings. And great prices too! Who wants to pay thousands of dollars for a book of tickets in the nosebleeds on Stubhub when I can get great seats for about $300 per book on Craigslist? Right?

So, thinking I am the smartest man on the planet by successfully outsmarting thousands of other SEC tourney hopefuls, I send emails to a few of sellers. I am worried if the tickets are still available. Surely, at these prices, the tickets won't last long.

I get my first reply:

Hello,

The tickets are still for sale.. I am selling 4 tix for $1200. The price includes shipping, because i am located in Scottsdale, AZ. I will deliver the tickets via UPS overnight (UPS fees are paid by me).
I would like to do this transaction trough eBay for protection. eBay will send you the purchase confirmation with details how to purchase the tickets from me. You will be sending the money to an eBay Agent. eBay will send the funds to me ONLY AFTER you will have the tickets in hand and give the feedback for our transaction.
In order to start the official procedure, I will need you to send me: your full name, delivery address and your eBay id..

I will check my inbox for your reply later!

Thank you,
Bradley

Sweet! This guy is crazy for selling lower level seats, about 5 rows up, for just $300! Plus, he wants to use eBay! That's great. More protection for me!

Then, I get a reply from another seller...



Hello,
My Name is Lisa Wilcox and i am located in Seattle, Washington.I am selling 4 tickets for $900.If you are interested to buy these tickets i will do this deal only trough eBay.In order to start the transaction i will need your full name, address and your eBay id.They will send you an invoice how to purchase the tickets from me.(You will be sending the money to an eBay agent.After the payment is sent i will send the tickets to you.eBay will release the funds to me ONLY AFTER you will send them the confirmation that you received the tickets and they are real).I will ship the via UPS overnight.I will pay shipping.
I will wait your reply.
Thank You !

Wait a minute. That is odd. They have virtually identical responses.

Then I get another response from another seller...
Hello,
I live in Phoenix and i will ship the tickets via UPS Overnight so you can receive them in 24 hours ( with tracking # ).
The price including shipping.Because i am new on craigslist i will do this transaction only trough eBay.In order to start the transaction through eBay reply me with your full name, address and your eBay id.eBay will send you an invoice how to purchase the tickets from me.


I will wait your reply
Thank You

Uh oh.

So I do a search for "eBay agent", and find a page from eBay saying this is a major scam. There is no such thing as an eBay Agent, the money is actually going to the scammer, who keeps the money and never sends the "tickets" he probably never had in the first place.

So, be careful out there, fellow clueless UK fans. The internets are dangerous.

/end public service

2 comments:

  1. I received the same emails for NCAA Final four tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received the same email from someone supposedly selling tickets to see Conan O'Brien. Danged internet machine!

    ReplyDelete